July 30, 2012

"You're NEVER too old to learn something new!" (May 7, 2012)


Today I started a new adventure...piano lessons!  I have always wanted to learn how to play the piano.  We have a piano at home and I always knew that I wanted to take lessons at some point in my life so I could learn.  My mom played the piano and I have recorded cassette tapes of her and I sitting at the piano and her playing and singing along with me.  The memory always stuck in my mind and was something I wanted to be able to share with my own children.  When I got to be an adult I always felt like I had missed something because I never played a musical instrument.  I sang in the choir and of course danced my whole life so music was all around me I just didn't know how to read it or play it!  For Mother's Day Eric asked me what I wanted and I said piano lessons.  He was surprised and asked me again to make sure he had heard me correctly.  Mrs. Thames knew a lady in our neighborhood (Mrs. Cook) that taught piano and I got connected with her.  I called her and asked her if she would be willing to teach a 32 years old mom piano and of course she said yes.  She told me that "you are never too old to learn something new" and that she once taught a 70 year old man to play.  I want Annaliese to learn how to play the piano if she wants to and I knew that I would have a difficult time helping her/encouraging her to practice if I didn't know how to do it myself.  Now I will at least be able to read music so that I can help her or any other children play any instrument that they choose.  Mrs. Cook lives about 10 houses down from me and will teach me while Annaliese takes her nap.  I make sure that Annaliese is down for her nap and her and Daddy nap together while I run down the street and have my 30 minute piano lesson.  It works out perfectly!  I am soooo excited for my new adventure.  My hope is to be able to create lasting family memories of sitting around the piano and enjoying music together for years to come.  I picture us playing/singing nursery rhymes, hymns, Christmas songs, and classical together!  

No comments:

Post a Comment